Fair Food is dedicated to bringing locally grown food to the marketplace and to promoting a humane, sustainable agriculture system for the Greater Philadelphia region.
By buying local, you:
- Ensure freshness and flavor. Less distance from farm to plate means fresher more flavorful food. You can taste the difference!
- Support our regional economy. Buying local food keeps money circulating in your community.
- Support family farmers. When you buy directly from a local farm or the Fair Food Farmstand, the farmer receives a larger portion of the food dollar.
- Protect open space and farmland. Supporting local farms ensures beautiful, lush farmlands are preserved, which benefits this generation and generations to come.
- Build community. You establish a connection with your local farmer while socializing with other community members at farmers’ markets and Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farms.
- Protect natural resources. 90% of the fossil fuels used in the global food system goes to packaging, transporting and marketing. Buying locally greatly reduces our dependence on fossil fuels.