Fair Food Farmstand’s cheese program in Reading Terminal Market has a strong reputation with consumers, chefs, wholesale buyers, and food writers.
Through the Fair Food Farmstand and our efforts in Value Chain Coordination (VCC), Fair Food has spent many years working alongside the region’s top cheese producers. In fact, all of the winners of the 2016 PA Farm Show’s Cheese competition are long-time Fair Food producers and Farmstand vendors. While we have witnessed the high demand for these local cheeses first hand, we have also learned about the challenges cheese artisans face in producing, marketing, and transporting their goods to retailers.
This “explosion” of top-notch dairy products has been fueled by the success of the local food movement and direct-to-consumer markets, with a growing number of dairy farms turning to value-added production of delicious cheeses, yogurts, and butters. Often produced by small, family-owned businesses, these dairy products help achieve or maintain profitability for the farmers.
our cheese producers
- BIRCHRUN HILLS FARM, Chester Springs, PA
- CALKINS CREAMERY, Honesdale, PA
- CAPUTO BROTHERS CREAMERY, Spring Grove, PA
- CHERRY GROVE FARM, Lawrenceville, NJ
- CLOVER CREEK CHEESE CELLAR, Williamsburg, PA
- CONEBELLA FARM, Elverson, PA
- ELY FARM, Newtown, PA
- THE FARM AT DOE RUN, Coatesville, PA
- GOOT ESSA CHEESE, Howard, PA
- HIDDEN HILLS DAIRY, Everett, PA
- KESWICK CREAMERY, Newburg, PA
- MEADOWSET FARM & APIARY, Landenberg, PA
- MISTY CREEK GOAT DAIRY, Leola, PA
- PIPE DREAMS FROMAGE, Greencastle, PA
- ROUNDTOP FARM, Honey Brook, PA
- SHELLBARK HOLLOW FARM, Honey Brook, PA
- VALLEY MILKHOUSE CREAMERY, Oley, PA
- WAKEFIELD DAIRY, Peach Bottom, PA
- YELLOW SPRINGS FARM, Chester Springs, PA
For information about wholesale and special cheese orders, email wholesale [at] fairfoodphilly.org.