Sure, we're well into the winter months, but that doesn't mean you can't add some locally grown produce to your plate. Over at the Farmstand, we're rolling in sweet potatoes of all kinds—orange, purple, white, and garnet. Here are some interesting factoids about these winter gems, and a recipe round-up to spark your culinary inspiration.
Did you know?
Despite its name and appearance, the sweet potato is related to neither the ordinary potato nor the yam, and it may be one of the best natural sources for beta-carotene, an orange pigment/antioxidant that the body converts into vitamin A. Sweet potatoes also have more nutrients and fewer calories than regular white potatoes, and they are packed with fiber and potassium.
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes, via Food Network Kitchen
- Mediterranean Baked Sweet Potatoes, via Minimalist Baker
- Pan-Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Dried Cherries & Pecans, via Eating Well
- Sweet Potato Soup, via the New York Times
- Spicy Sweet Potato Hummus, via Cookie + Kate
- Sweet Potato Casserole, via Anne Burrell / Food Network
- Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie, via Epicurious
- Buddha Bowls, via Delish
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili, via Eating Well
- Stuffed Chipotle Sweet Potatoes, via Love & Lemons
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Smoothie, via Paleo Breakfast
- Sweet Potato Pancakes, via The Kitchn
- Sweet Potato Waffles, via Alton Brown / Food Network
- Sweet Potato Tea Cake with Meringue, via the New York Times
- Sweet Potato–Ginger Scones, via Southern Living
- Sweet Potato Meringue Trifle with Candied Pecans, via Delish
- Brown Sugar Sweet Potato Pie, via Sally’s Baking Addiction
- Sweet Potato Turnovers with Sweet Kraut, via Epicurious
- Sweet Potato Hummingbird Cake, via the New York Times
- Sweet Potato Ice Cream with Toasted Marshmallows, via Grandbaby Cakes