Peggy Paul Casella, Resident Wordsmith (and Farmstand Associate) We all know that peaches, plums, berries, and melons are delicious in baked goods and other sweet applications, but why confine them to the dessert course? Exploring the savory side of summer fruits will shake up your cooking routine and unlock a whole new level of seasonal flavor.
If you're new to the whole fruit-for-dinner idea, start with something simple like grilled peaches and watermelon with feta and mint. Whip up a batch of blueberry or plum barbecue sauce to slather on ribs, tenderloin, or chicken wings. Or make a breezy meal of grilled clams with Peach, Tomato, and Basil Salad.
Of course, the Farmstand is fully stocked with all the summer fruits, vegetables, cheeses, and meats you need for your savory pursuits--even locally raised clams from Heritage Shellfish Cooperative, which pair surprisingly well with fruity flavors. Swing by for some inspiration, and savor the summer bounty while it lasts!
Here are some savory summer fruit recipes to get you started:
- Filet Mignon with Blueberry-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce (from Eating Well)
- Blueberry-Onion Jam (from Taste of Home)
- Pickled Blueberries with Rosemary (from Food52)
- Lynne Rosetto Kasper's Savory Cantaloupe Salad (from Food & Wine)
- Jerk Shrimp Tacos with Spicy Melon Salsa (from How Sweet it Is)
- Avocado & Melon Salad (from Food52)
- Roasted Peaches with Bacon, Blue Cheese, and Rosemary (from Alaska from Scratch)
- Tomato, Olive, Peach, and Parsley Salsa (from SheKnows)
- Caramelized Peach Caprese Salad (from How Sweet It Is)
- Roasted Chicken Legs with Plum-Chili Salsa (from Epicurious)
- Grilled Kale Salad with Ricotta and Plums (from Bon Appétit)
- Plum-Fennel Salad with Honey-Ginger Dressing (from Bon Appétit)