Do you have a favorite summer recipe? For me, it's Ina Garten's Fresh Corn Salad, tossed with basil, diced red onion, and a simple vinaigrette. I discovered it years ago when I was looking for something easy-yet-impressive to bring to a picnic, and it quickly became my go-to dish for every cookout and potluck of the season. Like other classic hot-weather salads (think caprese, tabbouleh, and watermelon-feta), its beauty lies in its simplicity--one focal ingredient enhanced by a few complementary flavors. And with yesterday's arrival of sweet white corn from Fifer Orchards (just in time for the 4th of July weekend!) I see a lot of it in my future.
Of course, corn wasn't the only exciting new delivery of the week. Yesterday we also received our first crates of yellow cling-stone peaches from Fifer Orchards; Oasis (Lancaster County) rolled up with an order of black raspberries; and Redhead Farms (Hammonton, NJ) brought fragrant flats of red raspberries and blackberries. Plus, we have plenty of blueberries from Blueberry Bill Farm (Hammonton, NJ) and a few more flats of sweet and tart cherries from 3 Springs (Aspers, PA) to round out whatever favorite recipe you'll be cooking up this weekend.
Whether you're planning to toss some burgers and hot dogs on the grill, make a vegetarian feast, or construct the perfect Independence Day pie, we've got you covered. And if you're still in the planning phase, here are a few patriotic recipes for inspiration:
- Blueberry Beef Burgers (from Eating Well)
- Red, White, and Blue Quinoa Salad (from Shape Magazine)
- Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad (from Eating Well)
- Blueberry-Tomato Bruschetta (from Edible Dallas & Fort Worth)
- Red, White, and Blueberry Salad (from Food52)
- Red, White, and Blue Granita (from Hello Natural)
- Red White and Blueberry Yogurt Popsicles (from The View from Great Island)
- Stars and Stripes Pie (from Woman's Day)
- Mini Patriotic Pies (from Just Another Day in Paradise)